ER&L facilitates communication and collaboration for information professionals around issues related to managing electronic resources in the digital world.
The goal of the ER&L Conference is to bring together information professionals from libraries and related industries to improve the way we collect, manage, maintain, and make accessible electronic resources in an ever-changing online environment. We do this once a year at an in-person conference. In addition, sessions are recorded and made available online in an online conference. ER&L allows for cross-pollination of ideas across fields of librarianship not often brought together in traditional public services or technical services conferences. An orientation to ER&L for new visitors is available here.
Code of Conduct
ER&L seeks a variety of opinions, voices and perspectives at our conference. We encourage participation from people of all races, ethnicities, genders, ages, abilities, religions, and sexual orientation. We strive to create an inclusive and respectful conference experience, inviting diverse perspectives and opinions. If you feel you have encountered harassment or had a negative conference experience, please contact Bonnie Tijerina [bonnie.tijerina [@] gmail [.] com], the Conference Coordinator.
ER&L takes harassment of any kind seriously. In the event of a harassment complaint, we will take the following steps:
- After initial contact from victim or bystander, we will strive to get full details from this individual within 3 days.
- We will offer an opportunity for the accused to provide their description of the incident(s) within one week.
- If we cannot make a final decision on a resolution, we will bring in a neutral third party to investigate further and assist us with a final decision on a resolution.
Commitment to Accessibility and Inclusivity
ER&L is committed to creating an inclusive and comfortable conference experience for all attendees. Here are the features we have in place to ensure that the ER&L conference is safe and accessible to all:
- The entire program, less workshops, is available to be viewed via the Online Conference, some sessions being available live with the remainder within 24-48 hours of completion. ER&L makes a commitment to an online conference and have since the beginning of ER&L so that geography will not be a barrier to access to the conference.
- ER&L will be closed captioning all of the sessions available via the Online Video Conference.
- We have accessible sleeping rooms in our hotel block.
- Every session room will have dedicated wheelchair-accessible seats designated with a special sticker.
- Wheelchairs will be available on a first-come, first-served basis for attendees that require mobility assistance.
- ASL Interpreters can be made available for people who are deaf or hard of hearing. To use the service, please submit a request no later than 30 days prior to the start of the conference so we can ensure appropriate staff is scheduled.
- ER&L is the first conference at UT Austin’s AT&T Center to provide Gender Neutral restrooms on property, designated with an appropriate sign.
- The ER&L Conference is weapon-free conference environment.
- A private, locked Nursing Room will be available on property.
Commitment to Sustainability
ER&L is committed to sustainability in the community and environment. Here are the features we have in place:
- Austin, Texas is recognized as a sustainable, green city. Read more here, here and here.
- The AT&T Hotel and Conference Center was designed, built, and now run with a keen environmental conscience. Read more here.
- Whenever possible, materials are provided digitally rather than printed. If printed materials are required they are abbreviated versions with expanded information available digitally.
- As many items as possible are curated and printed locally and/ or with small local businesses.
- All disposable printed materials, including program books and poster boards, are recycled.
- Large printed items are created with annual reuse in mind.
- We encourage our exhibitors and sponsors to reduce printed materials and giveaways to eliminate unnecessary paper waste.
- Attendees are encouraged to turn in their badge holders and lanyards post-conference so they can be reused or recycled.
- Supplementary hotel rooms are contracted within walking distance whenever possible.
- We encourage the use of rideshare services and pedicab services as posted on our website.
- We encourage attendees to bring water bottles and coffee mugs for beverages.
Statement on Texas
ER&L has appreciated the positive relationship we have with our local host University of Texas at Austin Libraries. The staffs have worked together to develop a positive and inclusive conference for all attendees. While we are discouraged by the recent legislations in Texas, we are committed to being advocates to our attendees and offering a conference that is inclusive of all who wish to attend and protects the rights and safety of all.
- Local activist groups are working actively to resist the anti-LGBTQ legislation efforts.
- ER&L will promote several activities within the conference dates to support these efforts including a fundraising activity and an opportunity to support activists efforts.
- ER&L will make necessary adjustments for California attendees to participate via the online conference. Our goal will be not only to disseminate conference content but to incorporate the ER&L sense of community for Californians who cannot travel to Texas.
- ER&L will accommodate remote participation from accepted California state employee presenters affected by the state’s travel restriction.
Bonnie Tijerina, the conference coordinator, has posted some of her initial thoughts on Texas, California and ER&L.
Please contact us directly with any questions at hello @ electroniclibrarian.org.